Saturday, January 14, 2012

Surviving Month 1



We made it; we survived the first month as parents and Roxana is still alive. Thank the Lord for that. ;) Adjusting to parenthood is 'something else'. I'm sure anyone that has kiddos is nodding their head. Don't get me wrong; I may be a walking zombie in a thick fog, but once I see Rox's little face, I can't help but smile and my heart instantly feels warm. However, I'm not going to write and say it's all peaches and cream....well seeing your child's face is, but everything else is not fun. Recovering from child birth, being sleep deprived, not knowing what day it is (happened to me a few times), forgetting to eat, feeling like a human cow, feeling overwhelmed, questioning your every decision as a new parent, failing at the guessing game when you baby is crying, and simply not having time for anything else. AND I do love the saying ((sarcasm)) "Sleep when your baby sleeps", "Don't worry about house work", "Stay in your jammies all day".... sure, I'm Type A and you want me to just let my house fall apart and have Steve see me in the clothes he left me in. I don't think so. I just can't. Most new mothers can't. Let's be realistic, you'll be tired beyond belief and nothing you do will prepare you. It's just hard the first month, plain and simple.

Why don't people talk about the days that follow the birth? The adjustment that takes place? The thick fog that lasts for a while? Thank goodness for all my mommy friends (one who happens to be my own sister); they've been awesome with this process. My poor sister has answered calls and text messages at all hours of the day (Bless her heart). Not to mention my mother, who answers all of my questions and gives me love and support eventhough she's miles apart (gotta love Skype!).

One thing is clear, you and your spouse have to be a team and the dynamic does change. You learn to cherish your time together and realize that the foundation of your marriage must always come first. Every day that I see Steve with Roxana, I'm quickly reminded why I married him. It warms my heart.

Below are a few things that helped us survive the first month:

Lot's of prayer.
The 5 S's theory - Must have for new parents!

AND lots of it. ;)
Sharing the responsibility and learning as you go.

WashPod (the best way to bathe your baby; mimics the mothers tummy). Roxana loves it!


HALO Swaddle - a MUST!!!

Moby Wrap - Also, a must!

AND lastly and most importantly . . . .

.LOVE.


I'm learning that I'll make mistakes (that is OK) and that every parenting style is different; not one is better than the other. I just have to trust my motherly instinct.


4 comments:

  1. You both get my vote. Perfect new parents. Good job Melanie. Lots of love,hugs and kisses to the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Uncle. I promise to call once the fog clears. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always trust your instinct.....Always ask questions...no question is a dumb question..yes, sleep when she sleeps. If you need to cry..cry...and have a girls night out often. Be Melanie and you'll do just fine. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Louise. I do cry...and it makes me feel better. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete