Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A tribute to Ellie

Ellie in front of Julia Child's kitchen, Washington, D.C 2009
 Elizabeth "Ellie" F. Balco
August 21, 1940 - January 12, 2011

Ellie made her journey to heaven last week and even though our family was prepared, the truth is, you really can't prepare for when it does happen. I can't begin to describe what Ellie means to me. Ellie was not only my mother-in-law, but she was a dear friend. She was a graceful, thoughtful, warm, strong, intelligent, loving and beautiful woman - inside and out. I remember when I first met Ellie and how welcoming she was; there was never a moment when she ever made me feel out of place. We had great moments together and I will remember those moments during this difficult time. 

Ellie was an excellent cook; always encouraging me to be brave in the kitchen. I would always laugh when she would say "Melanie, we are having a simple dinner tonight" and of course I would expect a simple dinner, but Ellie never served anything simple, her meals were always delicious and full of love. In addition to being an excellent chef, Ellie was talented in many areas; she played the piano, crocheted, painted, golfed, and played tennis (to name a few). I'm going to miss so many things about her - her friendship, smile, hugs, fast-pace nature, bread, Christmas cookies, encouraging words and of course her love. The world is a better and brighter place because of Ellie; she touched so many people, I'm forever touched.

Christmas 2009
 Christmas 2009
Ellie and Mr. Jimmy at their house 
Placitas, NM
 Helping Ellie with Cat's wedding cake
 Eddie, Steve and Ellie 
celebrate after transporting the wedding cake
 Martha's Vineyard
June 2010
Martha's Vineyard
June 2010

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Mel. It looked like Ellie lived a wonderful, blessed life full of joy and I know she will be an influence on you for the rest of your life, which is more inheritance than one could ask for!

    Praying for you and Steve!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Ellie was an amazing woman and lucky to have been surrounded with so much love and blessings in her life. Thinking of you and Steve! xo

    ReplyDelete