Friday, January 28, 2011

New Artwork

I've been told my artwork taste is a little different and I have to agree. While walking in old town in Albq, a gallery I've been wanting to stop by and check out was finally open - I was so excited. Santisima, is a gallery not directly on the street, but in between two buildings toward the back and on the second floor.  They have the most interesting art work from Dia de los Muertos to inspired Frida Kahlo artwork. I loved everything in the gallery and would have bought the entire store if I had the money (and if Steve liked it all). I received a monetary award at work in December and I was saving it for something very special, I just didn't want to spend it on clothes or shoes, but something that would last and remind me of my hard work. Artwork is an investment, it should move you and it should remind you of something special.  All of these pieces remind me of something special in my life. I hope you will see the beauty in them as well.

 Until Death by Brandon Maldonado

*This painting is so beautiful and delicate. It reminds me of love, friendship and eternal support. I love the contrast of the colors and the details in the wedding dress. It reminds me of my relationship with Steve and our deep friendship.

Las Lavanderas by Manuel Salas, Jr.

 *Even though this piece might scare you at first glance, there is something very beautiful about their smiles. I love the colors and detail in movement as well as the people in the background. This reminds me of migrant women that I worked with at a health center (while in graduate school) in Texas. All of these women, mainly of Hispanic descent, where so determined and had the best work ethic regardless of the hours they worked. They were always smiling...that's what kept them going. This reminds me of their perseverance.


*When I look at this piece, I immediately think of my wonderful grandmother. I'm reminded of the times when we would play Loteria together; she would hand me dry beans to use and we would play for hours. I look at this piece and I'm reminded of her love and how many things she taught me - to be kind, independent, compassionate, strong and friendly.

Muchos Abrazos!

No comments:

Post a Comment