Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas, New Years and early January

Steve and I had wonderful time spending the holidays with our family. We went to Albq, Placitas, Santa Fe and El Paso. This trip was difficult, because we realized life isn't fair, but also grateful that in a very difficult time for Steve and I, our family came together and supported us. For those who do not know, my mother-in-law, Ellie, is dying of cancer. I am forever touched by this woman. Steve's step-mom, is such a wonderful, caring, feisty, strong and amazing woman.


Christmas 2009

Below is a snapshot of our time back home.

 Placitas, NM & Albq, NM

 Walking  into my in-laws house is like walking into a museum. They have the most fascinating pieces of New Mexican art. Mr. Jimmy and Ellie have inspired me.
 This is my favorite
 Mr. Jimmy (the best father-in-law) reading the morning paper

 Ellie's amazing cookies

 Handsome brothers and hubby

 Delish
 Mr. Jimmy worked for NASA and briefed several Presidents (such as Presidents Reagan and Carter)
Pictured above is Mr. James Romero, Senior Executive Service (a young ambitious boy from Santa Fe, NM) meeting President Ronald Reagan. Mr. Jimmy's focus and determination is a testament that anyone regardless of socio-economic status can achieve anything they put their mind to.
 Eddie and Carli
 Playing "Trivia" with the family. These guys are way too smart; I got a couple right and didn't let them forget it.

 The computer engineer, nuclear/chemical engineer 
and future Dr. Romero
I love these guys!

Santa Fe, NM

Steve and I decided to spend one night in Santa Fe. We stayed at St. Francis Hotel on the plaza and enjoyed our day. We walked around Santa Fe, drank coffee, bought some trinkets, had a nice dinner at our favorite, San Pasquals and had a nice beer on the plaza. We also managed to meet up with some friends. I had to deal with Steve telling me stories about the legendary "La Llorona" as we walked past the Santa Fe river.  I have to admit - I was a little scared.



 I wanted to buy all of them - I have a thing for "Dia de los Muertos" trinkets.
 I love Santa Fe

"Hey Romero" - Steve, Mark and Vince
 Steve and Mark love each other
Santa Fe Sunset

El Paso, TX
 Christmas Eve Breakfast
So much going on: Mom talking to Ollie, Ollie looking at his Abuelo and Dad winking at Ollie.
 "Mom, the kissing lady is back"
 My mom, Godmother, Ollie and Mickey 
(given to Ollie by my Nina)
 Primas
 Wow, they should do this more often.
*Just Kidding, they always do this.
 Happy Wedding Anniversary, Parents
*We gave them a little getaway; they were excited.
 We are warriors
 Ollie loves his Abuelo
 Friendships are a gift from God
 They made me hold the monkey
 Hi, People
Cass gave me this cute apron for our annual 
"Christmas Sister Gift"

January
Given Ellie's prognosis, we weren't excited to do much of anything for New Years. We decided to stay in, make dinner and reflect. Before putting on our chef hats, we met up with Jessica and Chris for margaritas at our favorite restaurant, Chuy's.




We made Filet Mignon and lobster. Yum!

First day of 2011
 We invited the Lacher's over for green chili burgers, no one would appreciate more than people from NM.
 I made my famous guacamole
 The Chef
 Enjoying the hockey game
If you've never made Udon Noodles. Below is a link to a delicious, healthy recipe.

Udon Noodles Recipe

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year, Mel! So sorry to hear about Ellie, she is in my thoughts. Hugs to you, Steve and family. xo

    P.S. - I am eating udon noodles right now! :)

    ReplyDelete