Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Love starts with a little seed.

I was so excited when we had nice weather last weekend, it was perfect for gardening. I always remember my grandmother when I do; I feel she's with me. When I was younger, I helped her plant Daisy's in her garden; it's one my favorite memories with her. My grandmother advised me to speak to my plants, doing so would show them love. I really didn't understand her and even made fun of her for it; however, I now find myself talking to my plants and they thrive when I do.  The joke was on me. :) Yes, gardening is hard work, but it's also very relaxing and rewarding. I love making dinner with fresh veggies from our garden, there is nothing else like it. FYI- I have everything to make Pico de Gallo! 

We planted: jalapeno peppers, green bell peppers, cilantro, tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce, habanero chili peppers, onions and basil.

It all starts with the soil.

I can't live w/o cilantro.
Tools and Breast Cancer Awareness.
The key ingredients: Compost, Fertilizer and Gypsum.
The plan.
I recently read that planting Marigolds in your garden will help keep squirrels way, they hate the smell. So far so good!
My little furry helper, Millie.
Yummy lettuce, it's delish!
Great for planting tomatoes and strawberries. You can get the Garden Kit at your local nursery.
I love when my hubby helps.
Tomatoes and Strawberries
Happy
Done!


* I've decided to give up Facebook for Lent; with a lot happening lately, this is a good time to get closer to God and focus on other things. The few minutes I check updates here and there, result in a lot of my precious time. Don't worry friends, I'll still blog. This is also a good time to catch up with friends the old fashion way - via telephone. Oh and I haven't forgotten to post the recipes, please be on the look out.


Much love this special lent season. I hope you open your heart to God and reflect.



1 comment:

  1. Your garden looks lovely! I started peas a couple of days ago. We love cilantro too, but in the heat of summer it's hard to keep it from going to seed..gotta plant tons! Marigolds are also supposed to be good for keeping away other pests! Good luck this year and I hope your Lent is fruitful!

    ReplyDelete