Thursday, December 2, 2010

One of our Loves: Travel

It has been forever since I blogged and to be honest, I was a bit overwhelmed, since a lot happened since my last blog post. I procrastinated. However, here I am in the blog world sharing my thoughts again. 

Steve and I have been fortunate and blessed to travel. We both love it; combined we have been to 20 countries. Every year Steve and I take a trip somewhere as an anniversary present, usually in November. It's something we look forward to; I believe you get to know your spouse a lot more when you travel. For one, you both can't be leaders, one has to give up some control (i.e. me). You learn to share; maybe what they taught us in grade school does come in handy..even in marriage. Sharing is caring, people.

First Anniversary: London, U.K 
We visited many pubs, museums and cafes

Tower Bridge
 We met the owner of the Lamb and Flag (one of the oldest pubs in London) and he let us get behind the bar and gave us too many free drinks.

Second Anniversary: Machu Picchu, Peru 
We hiked the Inca Trail for four days
&
Panama City, Panama
Having fun on the Inca Trail
It was breathtaking. A dream come true.
Our hiking friends from all over the world - we keep in touch with most of them. We are united for life.

Panama Canal
 
Third Anniversary: Munich, Germany and Paris, France

This trip was all about sharing and letting go. Steve and I decided it would be fun if we picked a city of our choice in Europe and plan activities there; so he planned everything in Munich, Germany and I focused on romantic Paris, France. Thank goodness my sister, Cassie, has been there twice, so she was able to provide a lot of guidance. 

Munich, Germany

What can I say - Germany is more beautiful than I expected and the people are warm and friendly. AND of course, the beer there is delicious. Steve has educated me on "good" beer since we've been together and now I really enjoy it. I should have known that; he took me to a brewery on our first date.

Top 10 things about Germany:

1. Beer, Delicious, Amazing, Beer... Everywhere
2. Metro system is organized
3. Very clean
4. Friendly People
5. Christmas Markets
6. Germans don't mind if you practice their language and they won't make fun of you if you practice their language (Ahem, French)
7. Soccer, I mean Fútbol
8. Food looks interesting, but it's delicious
9. Bike friendly country - Everyone, I mean everyone has one
10. Believe it or not, shopping!

Day 1
We made it!
Königsplatz 
Hofbrau Beers in the English Garden (bigger than Central Park). Germany has a biergarten in the middle of a park - simply awesome, people!

Dinner at Augustiner-Bräu

*Favorite Beer


I had the sample platter - delicioso!
Day 2
St. Peter's tower of the Glockenspiel Clock
Excited to be at the soccer game - Go FC Bayern Munich!


Day 3
When Steve traveled to Germany during his military career, he came home talking about an amazing beer - Andechs. So when he found out the monastery that began brewing beer since 1455 was outside Munich, we had to go. We traveled to a town,Freising, outside of Germany and hiked two miles through the woods until we reached the monastery. It was a beautiful day. In case you're wondering, the beer is as delicious as Steve raved.

We made it to the top!
 Beautiful hike
 Peaceful
Inside the church
 
One word: Wow
*We drank too many of these

Best Schnitzel, hands down.

We were having so much fun at Andechs and that lead us to miss our first bus back to the train station (Oops), so we had to wait an hour. What did we do? We did the smartest thing we could do. We went back to Andechs and had more beer! I have a very funny video, but its giving problems when I try to load it. Lame.

Since we hadn't drank enough beer that day, we decided to go to the Hoffbrahouse for dinner. 

We made friends from Germany - Marc and Stephan

Day 4 
Market
Lunch: Beer Goulash
Paris, France

 Yes, people, (to me) Paris is what its all cracked up to be. It's romantic, lively, diverse, eclectic, full of charm and history and not to mention the delicious carbs (i.e. bread, macarons), and of course what France is known for - wine and cheese. Oh, did I mention awesome shopping. I got some killer shoes while I was there; got to be ahead of the trend, people. 


Top 10 things about Paris:

1. Cheese
2. Wine
3. Yummy Carbs
4. Diversity
5. Romantic
6. Music on the metro
7. Awesome metro - it's a city down there
8. Markets with delicious food and treats
9. Museums 
10. Crepes (All kinds!) 

Day 1
After a comfortable 6 hour train ride we made it France!
 This street was so charming.
I almost got hit by a car for standing in the middle of the street. Oops.

Norte Dame - Beautiful  
I got my adorable nephew, Oliver, a rosary which I got blessed by a priest. I stood in the confession line (I don't believe in confession) and politely told the priest I had already confessed all of my sins to God (he gave me a weird look), and told him I needed something blessed. I proceeded to tell him Oliver's story, gave him a big smile and in the end the priest was touched and blessed it for me. Steve did not want to have anything to do with it. :)
 

Dinner Cruise on the Seine River - ROMANTIC!
I got one of these on the way to our hotel after the cruise- it took me forever to decide which one to get.

Day 2
Our Day Trip to Versailles
So excited.


I love this guy.
The famous Cafe De Flore
Good Show at Moulin Rouge; aren't I a cool wife?



Day 3 
Les Invalides(Napoleons Tomb)

 Inside Les Invalides


 My silly hunk


The Coronation of Napoleon
*Very interesting painting and history behind it.
Check it out


We went to a nice dinner and made friends with a French couple sitting next to us; who would have thought. They bought us a bottle of champagne and we exchanged information. Maybe they'll invite us?!

Day 4
We finally got a sunny day in Paris!
Arc de Triompe

Beautiful Day!
I was devouring a banana and chocolate crepe and had to capture the moment. Steve was a little annoyed.
Treats anyone?

Abrazos a todos!

1 comment:

  1. hi mel! i love reading your stories and hearing about your travels! hiking the inca trail to machu picchu was definitely a dream come true for me, too. so glad i got to experience it with you! xo, leif

    ReplyDelete