Sunday, January 20, 2013

Where are all the moms at?

Singapore has a huge expat population from all over the world. Therefore, you have a lot of mommy and me classes to choose from. I was advised to sign up for different classes (aka trial class) with Roxana and then commit to the class(es) we want to take together. We plan to enroll Roxana in pre-school later this year as she is still a bit young, but for now, we'll be doing mommy and me classes to keep us busy.

We have a full schedule next week as I have scheduled us for different mommy and me trial classes throughout the week ranging from Gymboree, White Lodge, Buttercup MontessoriGrowing up Gifted, KindermusikMarsden Swim School (which Steve will be doing w/her on Saturdays). Hopefully, we will find a good fit with one or two of the classes. I'm also hoping to meet other moms and would like Roxana to be exposed to different cultures early on and explore as much as she can while attending these classes, so the class environment is very important to us.

We decided to try My Gym last week, which is similar to "Little Gym" in the states (I suspect) and although, we had a good time, something was missing. The instructors wanted Roxana to sit during circle time, but as soon as she saw stairs and a slide, it was over, and all she wanted to do was explore and climb around. Perhaps that setting was too structured for her. I was also a bit discouraged as there weren't a lot of moms in the class with their little ones, it was mostly "helpers". I saw one mother observe the helper from afar and instructed her on what to do/not to do, when she could have easily taken over and participated. Interesting moment.

Singapore is known for contracting Filipino or Indonesian women to work as live-in helpers to families at a very low cost. Roughly, $700 US/month ($350-$400 goes to the helpers and the rest as a fee to the government). Crazy cheap, right? "Helpers" as they are refereed to here, can assist you with pretty much anything you want. Some families only ask them to do the every day housework, while other families have them do housework + everything regarding to their children. I would choose the former approach, hands down. I am enjoying every single minute with Roxana, even if at times she tests my patience, makes me dead tired and turns my planned schedule around. However, going to mommy and me classes is such a privilege and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. It saddened me to see these children enjoy these moments with a woman (who I'm sure are lovely and care for these children) they will probably not remember - such laughs and sweet moments these mothers missed out on. No judging (as I don't know the full story).....however, I have quickly learned what type of expat wife and mother I plan to be while in Singapore. If Steve and I decide on having a live-in helper while on expat, she will mostly be a housekeeper and that's about it. Our children are our responsibility and I (we) don't want to miss out on any giggles as I have the opportunity to be there.

Rox jumping around

Who wants to do circle time when you can climb the slide?

Swing time

Fingers crossed for next week . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment